A national leader in collegiate housing innovation and development, EdR provides our experience and resources to help our partners realize their collegiate housing visions. EdR truly collaborates with its partners to create the answer for quality, sustainable, attractive and affordable student housing that meets our partners’ needs as well as those of the intended residents. In our 50 year history, EdR has developed/constructed or acquired more than 101,300 beds in 170 housing communities serving 97 universities. Since 2000 EdR has facilitated $2.5 billion in collegiate housing transactions. Because of our unwavering focus on quality and integrity, EdR has a stellar record of on-time and on- budget completion.
- Currently owns and/or manages 86 communities at 53 universities in 24 states with more than 44,000 beds
- Developed/constructed or acquired more than 105,000 beds in 175 housing communities serving more than 100 universities in 28 states
- $2.4 billion in on-campus, privatized collegiate housing
- Nearly 25,000 beds developed in third-party projects since 2000
- $1.59 billion invested in third-party developments since 2000
ON CAMPUS or OFF CAMPUS
The addition of modern on-campus collegiate housing can boost a university’s enrollment and increase retention by appealing to new students and their families. With the technology required for today’s students and the upscale amenities they desire, an on-campus housing revitalization will create a renewed interest in your institution. EdR is experienced in every aspect of successful on-campus developments. Each successful project begins with complete market analysis and a commitment to collaboration and to creating a quality addition for the campus that will meet the needs of the student and university. Quality off-campus housing built and managed by a responsible developer/owner can assist universities in accommodating the thousands of upper- and graduate-level students. EdR partners with university foundations, other developers, and local land owners to create and finance upscale, state-of-the-art communities with lasting appeal.
YOUR VISION. OUR RESOURCES.
Each university has unique needs that we fully explore and define to arrive at the ultimate collegiate housing solution. EdR’s goals upon being awarded a project include streamlining the development process and coordinating team efforts to ensure we deliver superior quality and durability at the lowest possible cost. Open and regular communication among our team members with the various levels of university officials, user groups, vendors, contractors, and other stakeholders is the basis of a successful programming, planning and design effort. EdR’s project manager serves as the point of contact for all communication with the consultant team, responsible for communicating with the team members on a planned, regular schedule. The EdR team’s efficient and effective management style coupled with our dedication to a collaborative relationship with our partners is the secret to a fully integrated and coordinated work process with the university. With our goals aligned and communication open, we can create a housing solution that answers our client’s needs and realizes their vision. Since 1964, EdR has developed/constructed or acquired than 101,300 beds in 170 housing communities serving 97 universities in 27 states. These included virtually all types of housing to accommodate a variety of university communities:
For each of these styles and situations, EdR has added quality of life components such as mixed-use projects comprising retail, university office or teaching spaces, and parking structures. Besides new on-campus or off-campus housing, EdR has a proven track record of successful on-campus renovation projects and on-campus revitalization developments.
- In 2012, EdR won the Student Housing Business INNOVATOR Award for its renovation of Granville Towers on the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill.
- In 2010 EdR competed the final phase of a four-year on-campus housing replacement development at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania. At the time, it was the largest privatized collegiate housing revitalization project in the nation.
- Today, EdR is partnering with the University of Kentucky to develop and complete the largest on-campus housing revitalization in history. EdR is systematically demolishing and replacing the majority of the campus’ 6,000 beds and will increase UK housing to approximately 9,000 beds.
EdR and its team members work in partnership with the clients and some of the nation’s leading architects to achieve a quality collegiate housing design compatible with the university’s architecture and with the residents’ needs for a quality of living-learning environment. With 50 years of collegiate housing experience, EdR is at the forefront of student housing design innovation. We partner with nationally renowned architects, as well as respected local firms, to develop designs consistent with each university’s architecture and design standards. In addition, EdR bring award-winning innovation to provide amenities to meet today’s students’ needs and to support each institution’s Resident Life missions. Working with EdR, clients receive these clear benefits:
- Housing designed to support university enrollment and residential life goals
- Appealing architecture and landscaping features
- Superior quality and durability
- Tailoring to the university’s style and needs
- LEED-rated, sustainable housing
- Extensive living-learning facilities
- Contemporary residential amenities
- Future expansion capabilities
- Private or shared units, bedrooms and bathrooms
- Appealing indoor/outdoor amenities
- Affordable pricing
- An aesthetic asset to campus
Many of EdR’s housing facilities also offer recreation, dining, retail, office, parking and community spaces to meet the needs of a dynamic campus community. THIRD-PARTY DEVELOPMENTS The depth of EdR’s development experience and expertise allows us to offer third-party development services. In these situations, EdR develops collegiate housing for a fee, and provides excellent services through every step of the process. EdR provides one development partner with extensive knowledge and integrity to assure your project meets its established goals. Our development team will work collaboratively to develop a successful project from market analysis to occupancy. Market Responsive Vision
- Market Analysis
- Demand Analysis
- Economic Analysis
Entitlements & Approvals
- Zoning Process
- Coordinate approvals of plans thru state, local and university authorities
Team and Partnership Development
- Ground Lease Structure and Coordination
- Financing and Underwriting
- Selection of Design and Construction Team
- Contract Negotiations
Design Innovation and Oversight
- Program Development
- Design Management
- Cost Estimate Review and Analysis
Construction Integrity and Oversight
- Weekly progress meetings with architect, contractor and university
- Quality Control
- Progress Inspections
- Budget Management
- Schedule Management
- Punch list and Final Approvals
- Procurement and installation of furniture, fixtures and equipment
JOINT VENTURE DEVELOPMENTS
Through our 50 year history, EdR has often partnered with other companies to develop land adjacent to major universities in need of significant housing. EdR is interested in a wide variety of joint venture partnerships if the relationship provides for an alignment of interests and if the property is accretive to our shareholder value. Other factors we consider are the size and strength of the colleges or universities to which the project is associated, the project’s location, market feasibility, design integrity and financial attributes along with the positive synergy that can be created between the partners.